Where to find expert witnesses? Know where to search and be specific
Selecting your expert witness is a daunting task. It is a key decision for the case. Unfortunately, clients expect you to already know your experts, and are reticent to be billed for the search, no matter the long-term consequences. It is tempting to delegate it to an associate or a referral firm. Here are directions to make the search easier.
The most common sources of expert witnesses are:
- prior engagements,
- referrals (word-of-mouth),
- referral firms, and online directories,
- internet search,
- professional organizations and universities.
Starting a search without any direction is a challenge. Googling “Expert Witness” will produce millions of hits. To narrow the search criteria, one must get specific about what is required to support the litigation. Whether using a print directory or online service, or simply conducting an Internet search.
To narrow the search criteria, one must get specific about what is required to support the litigation. Whether using a print directory or online service, or simply conducting an Internet search. The following are important criteria to establish before beginning a search:
1. Broad technical academic credentials, such as Ph.D., Masters, Bachelors.
2. Appropriate industry credentials, such as P.E. (Registered Professional Engineer), CPA (Certified Public Accountant), etc.
3. Specific academic credentials such as Ph.D., in Electronic Engineering, Masters in Mechanical Engineering, etc.
4. Years of professional experience.
5. Years employed by or consulting to industry relevant to your litigation.
6. Publications in the relevant area.
7. Litigation support experience, including experience giving testimony at deposition and trial.
8. Litigation support experience relevant to the litigation such as experience in patent infringement litigation, trade secret, etc.
Expert witness services
A solution is to contact expert referral services, which have hundreds of qualified Experts already under contract in a database that can produce candidates within hours. The beauty of these services is that there are no charges until and unless an Expert Witness is engaged. The drawback, is that the mark-up can be steep. Also, each referral company will assure you that only them have the best expert…